Heritage Trail Guide
Stop #17 - The Stepney Fire House #1 (c.1916)
As you leave the Stepney Green and travel south on Main Street, located at 88 Main Street, is the Stepney Volunteer Fire House #1. In 1916, 45 men and women formed the Stepney Volunteer Fire Company. It was the first volunteer fire company in Monroe. That same year the Stepney Company built its own firehouse. It housed the group’s first fire truck, purchased as used equipment from a Bridgeport fire-fighting company, with money raised by holding annual “Karnivals” behind the firehouse.
The original building, expanded and updated, continues to serve as headquarters for the oldest of the three volunteer fire companies in Monroe that include Stevenson and Monroe Volunteer Fire Companies. The Stepney Fire Company is located approximately 10 miles north of Bridgeport, Connecticut. The response area consists of 26 square miles and a population of over 20,000. The Company operates from two stations using four engines, a truck, a heavy rescue, a squad and a chief’s vehicle. Stepney Fire House #1 includes Engine 101, Truck 100, Rescue 120 and Squad 130. The fire company’s primary coverage area includes the Stepney, Stevenson and Monroe Center sections of Monroe. The company also provides coverage to the Towns of Trumbull, Easton, Newtown and Shelton on a mutual aide basis. The Stepney Volunteer Fire Company is dedicated to protecting the lives and property of the residents of the Town of Monroe and is under the direction of a single Fire Chief. According to the company’s website ( www.Stepneyfire.com ) the firemen responded to 485 calls in 2005.
The station includes social quarters, meeting hall, weight room, entertainment room and four truck bays. In the event of a town wide emergency, the station is designed and designated as an emergency shelter. It also serves as a dispatch center for fire control operations.
Volunteers have and continue to play an important role in the development of Stepney and Monroe. The Volunteer Fire Companies in Monroe are fine examples of dedicated citizens giving of their time and service to the community.